charm - Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation

  • From: Maksym Planeta <mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de>
  • To: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 02:01:47 +0200

On 10/21/2016 07:11 PM, Phil Miller wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Maksym Planeta
<mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de

<mailto:mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de>>
wrote:

Dear Phil,

thank you for quick response.

You're very welcome. More response in-line:

On 10/21/2016 06:30 PM, Phil Miller wrote:

This tool was never publicly released, because it was tightly
bound to
particular versions of the Eclipse environment and the Photran
add-on,
and too much work to forward port once it was developed.

However, I may be able to offer you a solid substitute. We have
developed a compiler-like tool based on the ROSE framework that
can read
the source code to identify all of the relevant global
variables. From
there, it can give you a list of source locations, and in many
cases is
able to both generate patch files with a transformation or
directly emit
transformed code.

Currently, I just wanted to compare AMPI vs MPI and for that I
planned to port several benchmarks (NPB or miniapps). I will be
happy to have any tool which makes porting smoother.

I believe we actually have ported versions of the NPB that we could
readily share with you. We've also already ported and tested parts of
the Mantevo suite and most of the Lawrence Livermore ASC proxy applications.

I would be very interested in that.

Is your end goal a benchmarking/performance analysis study, or
evaluating AMPI for use in some larger application project? This sort of
context can help inform how we can assist you.

Right now my goal is benchmarking and performance analysis. Basically, I want to do performance evaluation and present the results to my group.

And we are not an application group, we do OS research.

The key questions to ask about your use case are
- What language is your code written in?

The language is most likely Fortran. Probably also C or C++, but
these applications are not that important.

For the automated tooling, Fortran is a bit harder to deal with (there
are more compiler-specific dialects and constructs in wide use). We
would definitely want to try the tooling out, but can make fewer
promises that it will work well on everything.

- What libraries (if any) does it rely on?

The benchmarks do not rely on any library.

- What kind of environment will you use to run it?

Which environment do you mean? We have SLURM at our site, if it is
important.

Mostly, I wanted to distinguish between commodity clusters and more
proprietary supercomputers, like IBM Blue Gene and Cray. The specialized
systems have more quirks that make AMPI a bit harder to use. SLURM on a
common Linux cluster is perfectly straightforward.

The tooling and runtime system support we have for this are all
still
somewhat experimental. We would generally like to work with you
to get
new applications up and running, so that we can learn what more
needs to
be done to make the process easier and more robust.

Sincerely,

Phil Miller

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Maksym Planeta

<mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de

<mailto:mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de>

<mailto:mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de

<mailto:mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de>>>
wrote:

Dear Charm++ developers,

a paper called "Automatic MPI to AMPI Program Transformation
using
Photran" describes a tool which allows automatically
transform MPI
code into AMPI code.

Unfortunately I did not manage to find this tool available
online.

I understand that paper is relatively old, but could you
tell me if
this tool is still possible to download?

--
With best regards,
Maksym Planeta

--