charm - RE: [charm] Querying Hardware Topology Information

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

RE: [charm] Querying Hardware Topology Information

  • From: "Galvez Garcia, Juan Jose" <jjgalvez AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Chris Wailes <chris.wailes AT gmail.com>, "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "Buch, Ronak Akshay" <rabuch2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [charm] Querying Hardware Topology Information
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 17:28:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Chris,

Like you said, TopoManager provides detailed info for Cray and BG/Q topologies (like the shape of the topology, distance in network links between processors/nodes, and on what physical node each processor resides in).

Outside of these architectures, TopoManager can also be queried for the number of physical nodes and on which node each processor is in (this should work on most or all architectures).

We don’t currently have a way to query latency and bandwidth information in Charm++ at runtime. We do have a measurement-based approach which is used with Projections (Charm++’s performance analysis tool). With this approach, after running an application with tracing enabled, you can extract certain stats like message latency and bandwidth. This could be extended to provide this information at runtime. Ronak from our group (cc’ed) can give you more information about this functionality if you are interested.

-Juan