charm - [charm] Collecting Basic Application Information

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Collecting Basic Application Information

  • From: Chris Wailes <chris.wailes AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Collecting Basic Application Information
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 16:46:34 -0400

For my research I'm collecting information about task layout during load balancing invocation.  To do this, I've implemented a "dummy" load balancer that collects the data I'm interested in and writes it to a log file.  That part has actually be very easy and straightforward.  However, there are three bits of information I need for bookkeeping purposes that I'm not entirely sure how to obtain: the name of the application, the time the application started, and the time the application ended.

Are these first two pieces of information available from within a load balancer, or will I need to modify other parts of the Charm++ runtime to make it available?  Is there a way to register a callback, so that I can write the timestamp at program exit to my log file?  I'd rather not have to manually collect this information.

In the worst-case scenario I'll just write a wrapper program that collects this information before and after execing the Charm++ program, but it would be nicer to do it all inside Charm++.

- Chris

P.S. I feel bad for spamming the mailing list with trivial questions like this.  Is there a Charm++ IRC room somewhere?