charm - [charm] CrayPat with Charm++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] CrayPat with Charm++

  • From: "Papatheodore, Thomas L." <papatheodore AT ornl.gov>
  • To: "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] CrayPat with Charm++
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:47:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hello. I am having trouble running CrayPat on a Charm++ example problem on Titan (Cray XK7) at ORNL. The error message that I encounter when trying to instrument the executable with pat_build is:

ERROR: Missing required ELF section '.note.link' from the program '/lustre/atlas2/csc198/proj-shared/tpapathe/test/charm-cuda/multicore-linux-x86_64-cuda/tests/charm++/simplearrayhello/hello'. Load the correct 'perftools' module and rebuild the program.

This error is usually caused by not having the perftools-base and perftools modules loaded before compiling a program. However, I compiled the program with these modules loaded and I still receive the message. I also recompiled Charm++ itself with these modules loaded, but still get the message. Is there anything special I need to do to get CrayPat to profile Charm++ applications? I found the Cray document (http://docs.cray.com/books/S-2802-10//S-2802-10.pdf), but this does not resolve my issue. Could it be that Charm++ compiles with charmc and CrayPat requires the Cray compiler wrappers (e.g. CC, ftn, etc.)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Tom