charm - Re: [charm] Is the constructor guaranteed to be called before a member function?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Is the constructor guaranteed to be called before a member function?

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Is the constructor guaranteed to be called before a member function?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 16:05:40 -0600

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov> wrote:
Thanks, Phil,

Good that you mention insert. What if I call insert on an element and also put
in a call to an entry method foo of the same element. Will the constructor be
still called before foo?

Yes, it will. Before the constructor runs, the element does not exist for the runtime system to deliver the message bearing the foo() entry method call. So, it just buffers it.