charm - [charm] doneInserting

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] doneInserting

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • To: "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] doneInserting
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:04:07 -0700

Hi folks,

I noticed that one can call doneInserting on a chare array in both broadcast
and
point-to-point fashion, i.e., proxy.doneInserting() as well as
proxy[x].doneInserting(). Could someone elaborate on the difference on their
effect?

In particular, I'm hypothesizing that the broadcast call will tell the runtime
system that "I am completely done with dynamically inserting all new array
elements across the whole problem", while the one addressing only array
element
x will only mean that "I am done with dynamically inserting a single array
element x", so other PEs might still be adding to the same array and so
globally
we are not done yet. If this latter is true, I guess, I am having trouble
understanding what is really the use of the doneInserting() call addressing a
single element, since globally the insertion has not finished yet. Does the
system wait to see if every PE has called doneInserting() at least once and
then
starts the reduction manager?

Thanks,
Jozsef