charm - [charm] TopoManager / Cray XE6 Question

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] TopoManager / Cray XE6 Question

  • From: Chris Wailes <chris.wailes AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] TopoManager / Cray XE6 Question
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:52:33 -0500

This documentation states that the TopoManager method `getDimNT()`:

Returns the length of T dimension. TopoManager uses T dimension to represent different cores that reside within a physical node.

However, the Cray documentation for the XE6 series of machines states that each Gemini router is connected to two nodes, each of which contains two processors.

My question then is if the X, Y, and Z coordinates identify routers, are all of the cores on all CPUs for both nodes connected to a router represented using the T dimension or are there other, hidden, dimensions that specify the Cray node and processors?

I ask because the XE6 machine I'm currently using (which has 16-core, 2-way SMP-enabled CPUs) is reporting X, Y, Z, and T dimensions of 11, 6, 8, and 32.  This would seem to indicate that a coordinate quadruple doesn't uniquely identify a core, but instead identifies four cores, one on each CPU attached to each node attached to a router.

Any clarification would be appreciated, and thanks for your work on Charm++.

- Chris