charm - [charm] Packed messages in Chare constructors

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Packed messages in Chare constructors

  • From: James Bordner <jobordner AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Packed messages in Chare constructors
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 14:36:05 -0700

I'm trying to track down a memory leak related to creating chare array elements using a constructor that has a custom packed message argument.   I would expect the message's pack() and unpack()  methods not to get called if run on a single processor; however, they are not only called, but called multiple times per element inserted.  Specifically, pack(), unpack(), pack(), unpack(), unpack().  The chare array is derived from another base chare array, so perhaps that's causing the multiple pack()/unpack() calls.  But I don't know why the extra "unpack()" at the end, or why pack() and unpack() are getting called at all given it's a single processor run.

Thanks,
James