charm - [charm] LBDB Migrate "Handle no longer registered"

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] LBDB Migrate "Handle no longer registered"

  • From: Vinicius Freitas <vinicius.mct.freitas AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [charm] LBDB Migrate "Handle no longer registered"
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:51:18 -0300

Hello, team,

A brief presentation here. I am Vinicius, and I have been working for a few years developing load balancing strategies for Charm++, but today, I found an unusual error (apparently related with LBDBManager.C) which I cannot seem to solve.
I am currently working in a distributed load balancing strategy using the DistBaseLB class, on the v6.8.1 release branch.

After my strategy finishes its work, back on the DistBaseLB workflow, committing the migrations for the LBDB, this lines appeared and confused me:
"[1] LBDB::Migrate: Handle 346 no longer registered, range 0-2188
[1] LBDB::Migrate: Handle 751 no longer registered, range 0-2188
[1] LBDB::Migrate: Handle 1738 no longer registered, range 0-2188
[1] LBDB::Migrate: Handle 1078 no longer registered, range 0-2188"

This happened in a load balancing call of the "lb_test" benchmark. I wasn't able to figure out the reason for this to happen. I found this specific call to be on line 318 of LBDBManager.C, called after a verification on the existence of a handler for a given object.

My question is: in this specific case, in which the handler IS in range, but is no longer registered, what should this mean? My load balancer receives the DistBaseLB::stats structure as a const value, and it is not altered, I simply read the registered LDCommData and LDObjData structures I receive from the parent class.

Thank you for your time, team,
I appreciate any assistance you can provide,
Sincerely,
--
Vinicius Marino Calvo Torres de Freitas Computer Science Graduate Student (Aluno de pós-graduação em Ciência da Computação)
Research Assistant at the Embedded Computing Laboratory at UFSC