charm - [charm] Deadlock detection

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Deadlock detection

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • To: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Deadlock detection
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:03:54 -0600

Hi folks,

Time to time I run into asynchronous logic errors (that I'm pretty sure are my
fault) that non-deterministically produce deadlocks without an error message.

I wonder what tools I have available that I can use to diagnose such problems.

Somehow, it would be great if I could detect from the runtime system that some
messages are being waited on, but nothing really happens in which case I could
dump some messages and their labels/ids/etc, that would help identify at least
what entry methods are waiting for messages, or something similar.

What do you suggest? How do you deal with such errors?

Thanks,
Jozsef