charm - Re: [charm] late entry method registration

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] late entry method registration

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • To: "Galvez Garcia, Juan Jose" <jjgalvez AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] late entry method registration
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:08:06 -0600

Hi Juan,

The problem involves two chares that each depend on each other and I am
solving the mutual dependence problem by templating one on the other's
proxy. This has worked for me in the past, but I have to be careful
where the include files are included and 'extern module' commands are
put in .ci files. I believe I follow everything the manual says about
templates and listing all possible template specializations in .ci
files, yet I sometimes run into this problem. I'm not sure why the
problem is solved eventually, but it always involves playing with the
order in which I add 'extern module' commands to various .ci files I
have, in a trial-and-error fashion and I never really understand why the
problem is fixed.

I wish I could be more specific but I cannot, on how I solved this. I
have attempted and failed to reproduce this problem in a small example,
derived from src/charm/examples/charm++/hello/1darray, which means I'm
still missing something about this.

Thanks,
Jozsef