charm - RE: [charm] Invoking DistributedLB from a CentralizedLB

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

RE: [charm] Invoking DistributedLB from a CentralizedLB

  • From: "Galvez Garcia, Juan Jose" <jjgalvez AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Anna Victoria Oikawa <anna4victoria AT gmail.com>, "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [charm] Invoking DistributedLB from a CentralizedLB
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 20:05:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Anna,

Centralized load balancers (that is, those that inherit from CentralLB) work by sending statistics to a central PE (typically PE 0), who then runs a load balancing strategy to decide where to assign each chare, and subsequently sends the migration decisions to every PE. Since centralized load balancers all follow this pattern, and have the same inputs and outputs, that is why you can call the work() function of other centralized load balancers at PE 0.

DistributedLB however works very differently. The information is not gathered in a central location, and the assignment of chares to processors is calculated in a distributed fashion. So, you can’t invoke DistributedLB from a centralized load balancer. You could, however, probably tell Charm++ that you want to run DistributedLB after your own load balancer has finished. By this I mean that you have to wait for centralized load balancing to send stats to PE 0, calculate a solution, send migration decisions, and move the chares. And then you could run DistributedLB. But I am not sure this is what you want.

If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

-Juan