charm - [charm] Projections question

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Projections question

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • To: charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Projections question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 12:07:29 -0700

Hi folks,

I have a projections question: I have the following function names when I
hover over "Usage Profile" or "Timeline" plots:

DiagCG::DiagCG_rhs and
DiagCG::redn_wrapper_advance(CkReductionMsg*impl_msg)

The corresponding code is the following (DiagCG is a chare array):

void
DiagCG::dt()
{
// Contribute to minimum dt across all chares the advance to next step
contribute( sizeof(tk::real), &mindt, CkReduction::min_double,
CkCallback(CkReductionTarget(DiagCG,advance), thisProxy) );
}

void
DiagCG::advance( tk::real newdt )
{
// Compute rhs for next time step
rhs();
}

void
DiagCG::rhs()
{
}

I would like to know how to interpret the usage (percentage) associated to
DiagCG::DiagCG_rhs and DiagCG::redn_wrapper_advance(CkReductionMsg*impl_msg).
More specifically, what does the latter include in this case? The
communication/synchronization costs of the all-to-all? Does it also involve
what advance() calls, e.g., rhs()?

Jozsef