charm - Re: [charm] Another projections question

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Another projections question

  • From: "Bohm, Eric J" <ebohm AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • Cc: "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Another projections question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 21:16:54 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=illinois.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=illinois.edu; dkim=pass header.d=illinois.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=7KYB5EWiEc6tQPlzVMusoVWX+tYXqEk/6i0v6hJUurs=; b=aJzUCpMWe4Dt+R3O/Kp6SxRj00Du4v8Dqy6eky5G5N84KXAFxuT1GdM5Buvcm8sGzFRIbeSxOUnrOEIr7kvAub7Yw1IQWPiCdnhd7uqDa82zbs90IEyEosdmwgu4VYvVcaybg8HnPpJkydG4ZTHi+R/wcZY+zyu+Wgx/XeOYddQF+u+qHYe6bJkFkGxMgNaOzlgNY1F+DiUtHG4lOvbO7MXzbhuFC6/ZnAHgPG5zd2FJNDP3qxxy9ALEAg8TBkIAl69tZcXWwC3EgT/y4oqydOA92Y96aFfYC+kSFd6qwNC2/UeUz/SqOjnNGfS7fcSpUM61VWFtpfHgpfFaLircnQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=UYPUAsG98uvwO+RSgLxOl7mlLHdFwjrLTZXqxZFjwWCPeNbj/tp5KvGRY1+2ueM0u8VzHvLhmxHcGcGiXVey49zP30tFISPw65GQlkVOHpio9OzWWhcmKuHFtZOvbkLJassjvBUeM95WKmh+Ixvzc5ztSiBvBFyBgmRPmq9wfVuB3WZaLYV/qUagJvi/gTJXHaLcFOa2Xam9EbQxxu5dd6fkApWTyLtFeuQi+jGgj/yfL3cx+fK59/qd2PV6xIcxwqMgWZd9FiHl05x2F05j+HKsR9P9hot0kWLowgbTrO9/fWcDqKPOYe06bkKpgeSX2hpO/NNTPIF1dXpNBfIARA==

You can also add [notrace] to disable tracing on entry methods you don't want tracked.  That is a compile time switch, so you can’t adjust that choice dynamically.

The best method I’ve found is to trace for a few iterations at a time.

This can be controlled by bracketing such intervals using traceBegin() and traceEnd()

e.g.,
if(iteration % startInterval ==0)
traceBegin()
 if(iteration % endInterval ==0)
traceEnd()

note: traceBegin() and traceEnd() control tracing within a PE, so for many cases it is easiest to manage those by putting the calls inside similarly named entry methods in a group that you trigger by broadcast.

You can also flip tracing on if some other detectable phenomena is going on (or will soon start) that you want to trace, like before and after load balancing, or changes in refinement.