gang-of-4-patterns - [gang-of-4-patterns] Factory Method and Loosely Coupled Code

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

[gang-of-4-patterns] Factory Method and Loosely Coupled Code

  • From: "Prabodh Saha" <prabodhs AT ivycomptech.com>
  • To: gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [gang-of-4-patterns] Factory Method and Loosely Coupled Code
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:50:22 +0530

The point of discussion is
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How does Factory Method promote loosely coupled code?

Following are some points coming to my mind. Please add to it.

1. Factory Method pattern provides a strong binding between the
"creator" and the "product".
The code designer can use this fact to cluster the strongly related
objects together [using (Factory) Methods in the creator object] and
decouple the client application from the strong cluster.

Then the client code can only hold a reference to a generic
creator object (say the root object/interface of the creators'
class hierarchy). The actual creator can be loaded at runtime
and get referenced by the generic-creator-reference present in the
client.

2. I have a question here, can you give me a scenerio where a "product"
of the Factory Method pattern should be used as a creator in turn
(thus forming a chain which can extend), rather than having more than
one (factory) methods in the primary creator itself ?

I mean should we ever need n-level deep factory method structure
rather than one-leve deep - as discussed in GOF?
If yes when, and if not why not ?

Regards,
Prabodh