gang-of-4-patterns - [gang-of-4-patterns] discuss the usage of Strategy DP

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

[gang-of-4-patterns] discuss the usage of Strategy DP

  • From: Zhai <myzhai AT yahoo.com.cn>
  • To: John Vlissides <vlis AT us.ibm.com>, gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [gang-of-4-patterns] discuss the usage of Strategy DP
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:56:28 +0800 (CST)

In a software system, we meet the following
requirements:
a client program, when running, have to set or get a
parameter, named paraValue.
But the parameter paraValue could be stored in a file
named filePara, or in a relation
database, such as Oracle. Now we design an abstract
class "CParaAccess", with two
public virtual functions setPara() and getPara() to
set and get the parameter.
There are two subclasses "CFileParaAccess" and
"CDatabaseParaAccess" inherited
from "CParaAccess", all implement setPara() and
getPara(). However in
"CFileParaAccess" and "CDatabaseParaAccess", the
principle to implement
setPara() and getPara() is different.
In the design we can understand the client had two
strategies to set/get the
parameter, i.e. from a file or a database. so can we
think our design cohere
with the Strategy design pattern? If not, which
pattern could we use to improve
the design?
thx.