gang-of-4-patterns - [gang-of-4-patterns] Task Prioritization Patterns

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

[gang-of-4-patterns] Task Prioritization Patterns

  • From: <conradwt AT runbox.com>
  • To: gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [gang-of-4-patterns] Task Prioritization Patterns
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 22:28:24 GMT

Hi, I have a problem dealing with task prioritization (i.e. allocating tasks
to agents that are stored in a database based a computed priority value).
The agents will initiate the retrieval of getting a task from the database
and they should get the one that has the highest computed priority value
based on the type of tasks that they can work on. Next, this priority value
can be change based on the time that a certain task needs to be completed.
For example, if a task is due in 4 hours that's in the database (i.e. not
assigned to an agent) and two hours have passed, then it's priority will
increase. This has a rippling effect because as time changes on the hour
boundary, the database must recompute the task's priority value. Thus, I was
wondering, are there any patterns that would assist me in designing and
developing a clean solution?

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad