illinois-ml-nlp-users - Re: [Illinois-ml-nlp-users] Running time of Illinois NER

illinois-ml-nlp-users AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Support for users of CCG software closed 7-27-20

Re: [Illinois-ml-nlp-users] Running time of Illinois NER

  • From: Lev-Arie Ratinov <arie.ratinov AT gmail.com>
  • To: Iman Mirrezaei <smirre2 AT uic.edu>
  • Cc: illinois-ml-nlp-users <illinois-ml-nlp-users AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Illinois-ml-nlp-users] Running time of Illinois NER
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:08:44 -0400

Hi Iman. Thanks for the interest. It's been out for probably 5 year,
and it's the first complain I hear about the speed. Several
suggestions:
1) Make sure that you're sending short fragments of text. The ting
tries to analyze text with non-local features. So if you send it 6MB
of text at once, it'll blow up your heap space.
2) Make sure your text doesn't contain funny characters. The tokenizer
may fail. Sentence splitter relies on spaces. If your text starts with
a space, sentence splitter may fail.

Play with inputs and see what happens. The system should work well out
of the box.
Peace&Love

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Iman Mirrezaei
<smirre2 AT uic.edu>