illinois-ml-nlp-users - [[Illinois-ml-nlp-users] ] Curator Documentation and Installation - Suggestions

illinois-ml-nlp-users AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Support for users of CCG software closed 7-27-20

[[Illinois-ml-nlp-users] ] Curator Documentation and Installation - Suggestions

  • From: Dagmar Gromann <dgromann AT iiia.csic.es>
  • To: illinois-ml-nlp-users AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc: mssammon AT illinois.edu
  • Subject: [[Illinois-ml-nlp-users] ] Curator Documentation and Installation - Suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:59:56 +0100 (CET)

Dear Cognitive Computation Group,

I would like to first of all congratulate you on the Semantic Role Labeler
Curator, which is really one fine piece of work. We investigate spatial
concepts and the dependency parsing and role labeling provided by the Curator
is excellent for that purpose.

However, I have a suggestion for an update of the documentation. It took me
and a colleague two full days to get the software to run (others seem to have
given up completely:
http://www.kenvanharen.com/2012/11/comparison-of-semantic-role-labelers.html).
We had all components running apart from the SRL because we could not get
the Charniak parser to run. We even tried to compile it with Thrift 0.4. as
suggested in the Charniak ReadMe but nothing helped. In the end it was a very
trivial problem:

We had to change all the include directives adding "thrift" at the beginning
- from #include <protocol/TBinaryProtocol.h> to #include
<thrift/protocol/TBinaryProtocol.h> in all the files that the
charniakThriftServer file calls and then it worked perfectly. Could you maybe
add this change to the documentation troubleshooting section for users trying
to install on Debian 8 or similar? I would like to spare other users this
experience if somehow possible.

Thanks and best regards,
Dagmar Gromann