k-user - Re: [K-user] R: Fwd: Use of K-framework for our language

Re: [K-user] R: Fwd: Use of K-framework for our language

  • From: "Serbanuta, Traian Florin" <tserban2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Antonio Bucchiarone <bucchiarone AT fbk.eu>
  • Cc: "k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu" <k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [K-user] R: Fwd: Use of K-framework for our language
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:46:37 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Antonio,

The K-framework runs pretty well on Macs. Actually, most of the
development for it has been done on Macs. Therefore, there are a couple of
options for getting K to work on a Mac.

If you like configuring and have experience with installing linux apps on
your Mac, you can follow the instructions in the K INSTALL file (
http://code.google.com/p/k-framework/source/browse/trunk/INSTALL ).

If this does not appeal to you, you can try or virtual machine which comes
with a fully configured pre-installed K. The reason for which we provide a
virtual machine is that, as K is still in a prototype phase (although
reasonably mature by now), lots of different tools are used to make it
work, which means lots of dependencies need to be installed.

For installing a K virtual machine, there are 2 options here.
1) If you have VMware Fusion (or are willing to purchase it, or to use the
trial version for one month), then you should probably follow the
instruction from http://code.google.com/p/k-framework/wiki/Downloads to
get K working for you. This is currently used by a couple of K users, so
we think it to be reasonably well tested.
2) The final option would be to use the VirtualBox virtual machine and the
instructions from here http://code.google.com/p/k-framework/wiki/VirtualBox
This hasn't been tested so well, but we would be willing to provide
support for it if needed.

In general, we're willing to assist with any of the installation
procedures above.

Best wishes,
- traian

On 1/26/12 1:50 AM, "Antonio Bucchiarone"
<bucchiarone AT fbk.eu>