k-user - Re: [K-user] Our Experience Hacking a JS model in K

Re: [K-user] Our Experience Hacking a JS model in K

  • From: Robby Findler <robby AT eecs.northwestern.edu>
  • To: "Rosu, Grigore" <grosu AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu" <k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Dylan Hirshkowitz <DylanHirshkowitz2014 AT u.northwestern.edu>, John Greene <johngreene2012 AT u.northwestern.edu>, Josiah Matlack <jmatlack AT u.northwestern.edu>, Kaicheng Zhang <kaichengzhang2016 AT u.northwestern.edu>, Lee Fan <LeeFan2014 AT u.northwestern.edu>, Maciej Swiech <maciejswiech2007 AT u.northwestern.edu>, Daniel Lieberman <daniellieberman2012 AT u.northwestern.edu>, Burke Fetscher <burke.fetscher AT eecs.northwestern.edu>, Ethan Romba <ethanromba AT u.northwestern.edu>, Matthew Wampler-Doty <negacthulhu AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [K-user] Our Experience Hacking a JS model in K
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:41:05 -0600

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Rosu, Grigore
<grosu AT illinois.edu>
wrote:
> This is great, thank you guys for trying K out! Also, many thanks for your
> suggestions, which we will carefully consider. We knew about the manual,
> which is definitely quite critical at this stage. We did not think about
> the unit testing support too much so far, as we (the developers) use "ant
> test" for that; in fact, all languages that come with the distribution have
> lots of unit tests, which are tested before each nightly built. Each
> program with interactive support has a corresponding .in and .out file,
> etc. (similar to your .out). But we should definitely include some of
> that functionality as part of krun, and make it available to all users.
> Thank you for suggesting it! We'll let you know as soon as we have it.

Thanks!

> Regading your definition of JS:
>
> You JS poster starts with a comment about Dorel Lucanu and Vlad Rusu :)

Yeah, I was trying to see if \title worked -- I've since removed that.

> There is one thing which I would have done slightly differently (just
> personal preference), but other than that it looks very good! I prefer to
> not put the k cell when it is the only cell in the rule, that is, I would
> written var .Ids; St => St instead of <k> var .Ids; St => St ...</k>, like
> you did with V ; St => St. There are a few similar ones.

Yeah, we had it that way for most of the quarter, but just today I
changed them all since it lets me see the nice green color in the
poster and makes the syntax declarations stand out more clearly. :)

Robby