k-user - [K-user] Supporting Unicode characters

[K-user] Supporting Unicode characters

  • From: Joshua Cranmer <cranmer2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [K-user] Supporting Unicode characters
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:38:02 -0600

Hi, I'm back again with another question.

I'm trying to make sure that my semantics work properly given non-ASCII characters, so I made sure to have my parser emit all non-printable characters in Strings using the \uXXXX escape sequence, but it appears that Strings don't support this escape sequence, nor do they support the \xXX variant. Is there any way to properly input non-ASCII characters in strings?

On a similar note, what do lengthString/charString/asciiString assume about the size of characters? What would charString return for an integer in the range [128, 255)? [256, 65535)? [0x10000, 0x17FFFF] (i.e., non-BMP characters)?

Also, is there an easy way to hook into upperCase/lowerCase semantics as defined in the full Unicode character set? I don't really want to have to write yet another translation script to copy the unicode case folding tables...

--
Joshua Cranmer
Source code archæologist