k-user - Re: [[K-user] ] Runtime state and types

Re: [[K-user] ] Runtime state and types

  • From: Everett Hildenbrandt <hildenb2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Russell Wallace <russell.wallace AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: <k-user AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [[K-user] ] Runtime state and types
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 14:56:51 -0500

Only some languages have an `<env>` cell which maps names to values (and
several of the tutorial languages do have this feature).

But the configuration can specify any state it wants, one cell can be a map
like the `<env>` cell, but other cells can store any runtime information they
want (a list of active processes for example).

It all boils down to patterns in the Matching Logic sense of pattern (and
even in most cases, just plain terms in a term algebra).

Execution in K is done via rewriting the terms, so for example if you have
the rule:

```k
syntax Exp ::= Int | Exp "+" Exp
// --------------------------------
rule X:Int + Y:Int => X +Int Y
```

What this means is "take any occurance of the term `_+_(var(X, Int), var(Y,
Int))` and replace it with an occurance of the term `_+Int_(var(X,Int),
var(Y,Int))`.

So you can think of terms as labelled trees, where the label on each node is
the operator that holds the sub-trees (eg. the label in the above example is
`_+_` and gets changed by the rewrite to `_+Int_`).

A more interesting example would be:

```k
syntax Stmt ::= "if" Bool "then" Stmt "else" Stmt
// -------------------------------------------------
rule if true then S1 else S2 => S1
rule if false then S1 else S2 => S2
```

This pair of rules states "replace any occurance of
`if_then_else_(const(true, Bool), var(S1, Stmt), var(S2, Stmt))` with just
`var(S1,Stmt)`" and similarly for the `const(false, Bool)` case.

Thus, we represent both programs (and program fragments) as terms, so that
execution can just be term rewriting (replacing subterms that match the
left-hand-side of a rule with the right-hand-side).

I'd recommend the book "Algebraic Semantics of Imperative Programs" by Goguen
if you are able to get ahold of a copy.
It's based on OBJ, which has a very similar syntax to Maude (was a
predecessor to Maude), and should help clarify what terms, rewriting, and
algebras are.
The semantics of K is given in terms of Reachability Logic and Matching
Logic, but execution (at the moment) pretty much follows standard rewriting.

Everett H.