k-user - Re: [[K-user] ] benefit of fully-bracketed concrete syntax for evaluating K?

Re: [[K-user] ] benefit of fully-bracketed concrete syntax for evaluating K?

  • From: Dwight Guth <dwight.guth AT runtimeverification.com>
  • To: Dustin Wehr <dustin.wehr AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: k-user AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: Re: [[K-user] ] benefit of fully-bracketed concrete syntax for evaluating K?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:37:32 -0500

It's really up to you. K has a fairly complex parser in terms of the functionality it supports, but it is also not the most performant. In many cases using concrete syntax rather than purely labeled forms can vastly improve the readability of the semantics, but often formalizing the grammar of a language in K is a nontrivial task, and if you already have a parser for the language that can be adapted to spit out KAST (K's abstract syntax), you may view it as an unnecessary effort, especially because such a parser will likely be much faster than a parser generated from K. I have seen languages successfully written in a variety of styles, from fully concrete syntax to nearly fully abstract syntax. That being said, K's refactoring tools are poor and you may find it more effort than you want to spend to change your decision at a later date.