maude-help - [Maude-help] Quick question

[Maude-help] Quick question

  • From: Guarionex Jordan-Salivia <gjordans AT math.uiowa.edu>
  • To: <maude-help AT peepal.cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Maude-help] Quick question
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:54:55 -0500

Title: Quick question
Mutually exclusive problem:

Does Maude realize that some rewrite laws are mutually exclusive?  The reason being that we are looking to avoid backtracking for a particular problem in the cases where backtracking is a waste of time.

If this is not the case, can you give me an example of how to avoid backtracking when rules are mutually exclusive?

Another option we have is to write the rules instead of rl as

eq1
eq2 [owise]

However we are not sure if the owise means that eq2 will not be checked in the event eq1 happens, or will it be checked anyhow, and does this guarantee eq1 will be tried first?
Furthermore, is the owise always referring to the previous eq in the case of course that there are only two eq. So say I have

eq1
eq2
eq3 [owise]

Then eq3 would take place if eq2 does not and eq1 does not matter?

Thanks.

"Si Dios existe eso es problema de El"
    F. Jordan