maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] random and counter question - Maude Alpha86a

Re: [Maude-help] random and counter question - Maude Alpha86a

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: Musab AlTurki <alturki AT uiuc.edu>, <maude-help AT peepal.cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] random and counter question - Maude Alpha86a
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:42:35 -0700

The reason counter's special rewriting semantics are disabled in search and
model checking is that otherwise any occurence of counter would result in an
infinite state space.

You can always simulate counter by carrying an extra value around in your
term
and giving a rule that increments it - but this still runs into the infinite
state space problem.

I wonder just how compatible random numbers are with search anyway; they can
be seen as two alternatives for dealing with non-determinism; pick a path at
random (don't care non-determinism) and follow all paths (don't know
non-determinism).

Steven