maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] Re: Parsing question (answer + new question)

Re: [Maude-help] Re: Parsing question (answer + new question)

  • From: Francisco Duran <duran AT lcc.uma.es>
  • To: Todd Wilson <twilson AT csufresno.edu>
  • Cc: maude-help AT maude.cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] Re: Parsing question (answer + new question)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:44:23 +0100

Hi Todd,

I'm late to your first email. It's good that you managed to get your own answer.

I copied the "special" declarations used in EXP above from prelude.maude, hoping that they might produce the parsing behavior I was looking for, and I was rewarded. However, now, my question becomes: what is the link between these specials and the way Maude parses integers, floats, and strings?

They are handled like tokens with such a special structure. Such information is used both for parsing and for typing the resulting parse.

More generally, does there exist any documentation of these special attributes, id-hook, op-hook, term-hook, etc.?

No published documentation on them. They are built-ins, system dependent, they are just hooks to the C++ implementations. The special attributes allow you to use them in the way you have done, or even changing the operators (you can rename built-in operators).

Am I creating some possible problems by using these features to parse literal constants in my applications?

There should be no problem. In fact, you may be interested in using your own tokens. Take a look to the section on the manual on Tokens, Bubbles, and Metaparsing.

Best regards,

Paco Duran