maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] higher-order functions

Re: [Maude-help] higher-order functions

  • From: Paco Duran <duran AT lcc.uma.es>
  • To: Yevgen Voronenko <yvoronen AT andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Cc: maude-help AT maude.cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] higher-order functions
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:50:28 +0100

Hi Yevgen,

There is no way to do it directly. The only attempt to handle HO in Maude is presented in the paper

M. Clavel, F. Durán, and N. Martí-Oliet, Polytypic Programming in Maude. In K. Futatsugi (ed.), Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Rewriting Logic and its Applications (WRLA'00). ENTCS, vol. 36. Elsevier.

But the approach also uses the metalevel.

Paco Durán

Yevgen Voronenko wrote:
Hi, Maude-Help,

Is it possible to define higher order functions (operators) in Maude without resorting to meta-level?

For example, I would like to define a map function (operator).
using pseudo-notation:
map : List Func -> List
map([1, 2, 3], increment) = [increment(1), increment(2), increment(3)]

in the above increment would be a Maude operator.

I was able to defined this using Meta-level, but it seems inefficient and overly complicated.

Thanks a lot.