maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] Search question

Re: [Maude-help] Search question

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: Jittisak Senachak <sjittisa AT jaist.ac.jp>, maude-help AT peepal.cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] Search question
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:23:14 -0700

There is an ambiguity in Maude about what it the length of a rewrite sequence
to a given final term - in general there could many infinitely many such
sequences, each of a different length. One choice would be to admit a
solution if there is *any* sequence to it of an appropriate length - this is
reasonable in theory but might be expensive in practice. Currently Maude uses
the length of the shortest sequence - easy to find since search is currently
breadthfirst - however this might change in the future.

Steven