maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] Wadler's expression problem and Maude

Re: [Maude-help] Wadler's expression problem and Maude

  • From: Michael Katelman <katelman AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: pbrowne <Patrick.Browne AT comp.dit.ie>
  • Cc: maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] Wadler's expression problem and Maude
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:28:14 -0600

Pat,

Could you clarify exactly what the "expression problem" is? I am
having difficulty following the wikipedia entry.

Since you mentioned type classes (a la Haskell), perhaps it's relevant
to note that while ad-hoc overloading of functions is allowed in
Maude, the situation is somewhat different from Haskell's type
classes. Haskell's type classes are used to support a sort of
restricted polymorphism where the type signature quantifies over a
subset of all types with the same overloaded operators, but the
"type-system" of Maude is not polymorphic; in the sense that the
signatures of functions cannot have universal quantifiers over
"types", like in Haskell.

At least that's my take on how the two are related.

-Mike

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:44 AM, pbrowne
<Patrick.Browne AT comp.dit.ie>