maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] LTL model-checking

Re: [Maude-help] LTL model-checking

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] LTL model-checking
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:47:27 -0700

Hi Abdur,

No, the same general algorithm is used:

(1) The formula is negated
(2) It is then simplified and converted to standard form using Maude equations
(3) The standard form is converted to a very weakly alternating automaton
(4) The VWAA is optimized
(5) The VWAA is converted to a generalized Buchi automaton
(6) The GBA is optimized
(7) The GBA is converted into a regular Buchi automaton
(8) The BA is optimized
(9) The standard double depth first search method is used to compute and
search
the synchronous product of the optimized BA and the state transition graph of
the specification being checked, on the fly; with a reachable accepting
cycle
corresponding to a counter-example.

The reason for all of this rigmarole is that LTL model-checking is P-space
hard and elaborate techniques are needed to avoid blowing up on quite trivial
examples. One upshot is that there is no easily understood correspondence
between the formula you start with and the Buchi automaton that ends up being
used to compute the synchronous product. And thus a small change in the
formula, say changing an "eventually" operator to a "next" operator can lead
to a big change in the runtime.

The techniques used in Maude were state of the art in 2001 when the model
checker was implemented but I'm sure much theoretical progress has been made
in the intervening decade and so there may be room for practical
improvement... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Steven

On Tuesday 29 March 2011 04:10:26 am
rza AT cs.nott.ac.uk