maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] Several questions?

Re: [Maude-help] Several questions?

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] Several questions?
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:55:34 -0700

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 08:48:04 am Michael George Hart wrote:
> Is there and effort to develop a fully compiled version of Maude? What are
> the versions of Maude under development? What are the goals of future
> versions of Maude and there expected release date?

Fully compiled Maude is probably more trouble than it is worth. For term
rewriting systems that use theories other than free, the runtime is dominated
by stuff which I don't know how to speed up much by full compilation.

Maude 3 is planned to have a new, much faster rewrite engine, and to have
support for multiple cores on 64-bit hardware using memory mapping tricks for
synchronization, but it is still at the design stage. I'd like to have a
release ready for WRLA 2012 but don't hold breath.

Steven