maude-help - Re: [Maude-help] Views to parameterized modules

Re: [Maude-help] Views to parameterized modules

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Maude-help] Views to parameterized modules
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 11:39:05 -0800

That is correct. I would say the predefined SET/LIST etc modules are most
useful if you need the algorithms - since they are carefully written to make
best use of Maude's fancy AC(U)/A(U) term representations and matching/replacement
algorithms for low complexity.

If you just need the signature, it's usually easier just to declare the sorts and
operators yourself. You'll notice this approach in the META-LEVEL, which contains
numerous ad hoc set and list sorts.

Steven

On 12/5/14, 12:50 AM, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
Hi Steven,

> Core Maude doesn't support parameterized views, though in principle it's
> not a difficult feature to add. I believe Full Maude does, so there is a
> worked out design. On-the-fly views would certainly be doable but there
> are no plans to add them.

> Now I think of it, Maude's immediate predecessor, OBJ3 had the notional
> of principal sorts, and the ability to guess views. I imagine something
> similar could be done in Maude by taking the largest user sort in a
> target module as principal.

Thanks for your comments. I had a quick look at OBJ3 which indeed has
a mechanism for automatically generating simple views, in particular
from TRIV. That covers 95% of the views I have used so far, so from
my perspective such a mechanism is very useful.

Back to my immediate problem: Do I understand correctly that for
using lists whose elements are sorts from a parametrized module,
I need to use Full Maude? In that case, I think it's simpler to
re-implement a specialized version of LIST for this case.

Konrad.