maude-help - [[Maude-help] ] Problem with narrowing search

[[Maude-help] ] Problem with narrowing search

  • From: bzielinski AT uni.lodz.pl
  • To: maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [[Maude-help] ] Problem with narrowing search
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:12:09 +0200

Dear Sir or Madame

When using Maude's narrowing search command in Full Maude I have observed
that for some modules the search command uses strangely the required
solution limit. For example, with the following module:
mod TEST is
sorts Conf State Oid .
op nil : -> Conf .
op __ : Conf Conf -> Conf [assoc comm] .
op <_> : Conf -> State .
ops O a : Oid -> Conf .
vars X : Oid . var C : Conf .
rl [create] : < C > => < C O(X) a(X) > [nonexec] .
endm

the command
(search [1, 5] in TEST : < nil > ~>* < C:Conf a(R1:Oid) a(R2:Oid)
a(R3:Oid) > .)
returns 6 solutions (all permutations of assignement of "#"-variables to
R1 , R2, R3.
Similarly anomalous behaviour occurs when using narrowing search at
metalevel.
Solutions, by the way, are correct.
I had also examples with executable rewrite rules which exhibit similar
behaviour. Is this a bug or a feature? Or, if it is a feature can you
point me to some resource which would help me to understand it?

Best regards

Bartosz ZieliƄski