nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Linguistics Seminar (next week/G17)]

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Linguistics Seminar (next week/G17)]

  • From: Margaret Fleck <mfleck AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Linguistics Seminar (next week/G17)]
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:51:56 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Linguistics Seminar (next week/G17)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:23:59 -0600
From: Eunah Kim
<ekim39 AT uiuc.edu>
To:
LING-DEPT-L AT LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU

Dear all,

Here is the information on the next seminar. Please note that the talk will be presented in G17, not in Lucy Ellis.

Presenter: Tae-Jin Yoon (Ph.D. Candidate of the Linguistics Dept.)

Time: Thursday, February 1, 2007, 4PM,

Place: G17, FLB

Title:
Modeling Phonetics and Phonology for Speech Technology: Dual Advances in Linguistic Science and Engineering

Abstract:
In this talk, I present two distinct, but related research goals: One is improving automatic speech recognition using phonetic knowledge, and the other is finding phonetic encoding of linguistic structure with the aid of automatic speech recognition.

In the first part of the talk, I demonstrate that phonetic knowledge can be used in improving the performance of automatic speech recognition. Specifically, I show that spectral and temporal measurements of speech sounds that are related to voice quality can be used in improving word recognition accuracy in automatic speech recognition system. The spectral measurement of H1-H2 and the temporal measurement of the mean autocorrelation ratio are used to objectively label voice quality categories on each sonorant phone on a subset of Switchboard corpus (Godfrey et al. 1992). Results from a Support Vector Machine (SVM) classification experiment show that these features are predictive of Perceptual Linear Predictive Cepstra (PLPC, Hermansky 1990) that are used as an input to speech recognition. I further demonstrate that by incorporating voice quality knowledge into a speech recognition system, we can improve word recognition accuracy. Acoustic phonetic models of voice quality, th!
us!
, lead to improved speech technology.

In the second part of the talk, I illustrate that tools from speech technology, in turn, can be used for linguistic analysis, enabling the analysis of large-scale databases, and incorporating laboratory and non-laboratory recordings. In particular, the phonetic encoding of prosodic structure is investigated through a study of the acoustic correlates of prosodic boundary and their interaction with accent at three levels of prosodic phrasing, with the three phrasing levels being word, intermediate phrase, and intonational phrase (see Ladd 1996). Acoustic cues to prosodic boundaries are observed in the lengthening of segments in the preboundary syllable rhyme, with greater effects of lengthening at successively higher levels of prosodic domains (Wightman et al. 1992). A second dimension of prosodic structure is the encoding of prominence, which also gives rise to lengthening effects in the prominent syllable (stressed or accented) (Turk and Sawusch 1997). Given two distinct sou!
rc!
es of lengthening, the question arises whether lengthening on its own can serve as a cue to either prosodic context. For the analysis, we obtained a large amount of phone-aligned data from Boston University Radio News Corpus (Ostendorf et al. 1995) using forced alignment based on HMM (Hidden Markov Model). I present results showing effects of prosodic boundary and accent at the three prosodic levels in measures of duration local to the domain-final rhyme.

In conclusion, phonetics and phonology provide an important source of knowledge for the design of speech technologies, and speech technologies provide useful and crucial aids for the investigation of complex linguistic phenomena based on diverse and large-scale speech databases.

Eunah

  • [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Linguistics Seminar (next week/G17)], Margaret Fleck, 01/26/2007