nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] Aravind Joshi talk November 10, 2008

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] Aravind Joshi talk November 10, 2008

  • From: Margaret Fleck <mfleck AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: "nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu" <nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] Aravind Joshi talk November 10, 2008
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:03:46 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: DISTINGUISHED LECTURESHIP SERIES - Aravind Joshi November 10, 2008
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:00:33 -0500
From: Dittmar, Jennifer Kay
<jdittmar AT cs.uiuc.edu>
To:
faculty AT cs.uiuc.edu

<faculty AT cs.uiuc.edu>
CC:
clerical AT cs.uiuc.edu

<clerical AT cs.uiuc.edu>

Department of Computer Science
Thomas M. Siebel Center for Computer Science
201 North Goodwin Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801-2302 USA

DISTINGUISHED LECTURESHIP SERIES
AND GRADUATE SEMINAR

Towards Discourse Meaning: Complexity of Dependencies at the Discourse Level
and at the Sentence Level

Aravind K. Joshi
Henry Salvatori Professor
Institute for Research in Cognitive Science
University of Pennsylvania

November 10 (Monday), 2008 at 4:00 p.m.
1404 Siebel Center for Computer Science

Host: Julia Hockenmaier, assisted by Mark Faust,
mfaust AT illinois.edu<mailto:mfaust AT illinois.edu>

Abstract:

My overall goal will be to discuss some issues concerning the dependencies at the discourse level and at the sentence level. The relationship between natural language and formal grammars is well understood at the sentence level. However, we know very little about this relationship at the discourse level. What aspects of sentence structure, if any, are carried over to the discourse level and conversely? Further, what aspects of discourse structure suggest a possibly different perspective on the sentence structure itself? These are some of the issues I will discuss in the context of an annotated corpus, the Penn Discourse Treebank (PDTB)*, a corpus in which we annotate the discourse connectives (explicit and implicit) and their arguments together with "attributions" of the arguments and the relations denoted by the connectives, and also the senses of the connectives*.

I will first briefly describe PDTB and then I will focus on the complexity of dependencies in terms of (a) the elements that bear the dependency relations, (b) patterns of these dependencies such as nested and crossed dependencies, dependencies with shared arguments, and (c) attributions and their relationship to the dependencies, among others. I will compare these dependencies with those at the sentence level and discuss some issues that relate to the transition from the sentence level to the level of "immediate discourse" and propose some conjectures.

*This 1 million-word corpus is the same as the WSJ corpus used by the Penn Treebank (PTB) for syntactic annotation and by Propbank for predicate-argument annotation. PDTB 2.0 was released by LDC in early January 2008.

Bio:

Aravind K. Joshi received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. He is now the Henry Salvatori Professor of Computer and Cognitive Science in the Department of Computer and Information Science the University of Pennsylvania. He is a former co-director of the Institute for Research in Cognitive Science (IRCS), also the NSF Science and technology Center at the University of Pennsylvania. He is a Fellow of IEEE, a Past President of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), a Fellow of ACM, and a Fellow of AAAI. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering. His honors include the Research Excellence Award of IJCAI, the Lifetime Achievement Award by ACL, the David Rumelhart Award form the Cognitive Science Society, and the Benjamin Franklin Medal for Cognitive Science from the Franklin Institute.

Professor Joshi's has worked in various areas of computational linguistics, in particular, the mathematical and processing models of language, parsing, and some aspects of discourse structure.

Reception will immediately follow the talk in the 2nd floor atrium of Siebel
Center

  • [nl-uiuc] Aravind Joshi talk November 10, 2008, Margaret Fleck, 10/27/2008