nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Yoav Goldberg on April 1

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Yoav Goldberg on April 1

  • From: Rajhans Samdani <rsamdan2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Yoav Goldberg on April 1
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:05:23 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all!

This week we have Yoad Goldberg (http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~yoavg/uni/) from
Ben
Gurion University as our AIIS Speaker. Details follow.

When: 2 pm, April 1 (Friday)

Where: 3405, Siebel Center

Title: Challenges of Syntactic Processing of Hebrew, and advances in
Dependency
Parsing

Abstract:
I will describe my experience with designing a syntactic parser for Hebrew,
language with rich morphology and a small treebank. After describing some of
the
characteristics that make automatic syntactic processing of Hebrew
challanging, I will
present some solutions to these challenges. The work on Hebrew brought about
solutions that work well also for English -- I will touch upon them as well.
I will
present a constituency parsing system that performs joint morphological
segmentation and syntactic parsing, and a greedy dependency parsing system
which
is fast, accurate, and can accommodate a range of complex features. Time
permitting, I will touch upon the issue of confidence estimation for the
output of
dependency parsers.

Hoping to see y'all

Thanks!
Rajhans

Rajhans Samdani,
Graduate Student,
Dept. of Computer Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

  • [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Yoav Goldberg on April 1, Rajhans Samdani, 03/28/2011