nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] DSSI Expert Speaker Series: Bing Liu, UI-Chicago

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] DSSI Expert Speaker Series: Bing Liu, UI-Chicago

  • From: "Horn, Eric Bailey" <erichorn AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] DSSI Expert Speaker Series: Bing Liu, UI-Chicago
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:52:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

The 2011 Data Sciences Summer Institute is proud to announce, as part of our Expert Speaker series:

Opinion Mining: Abstraction and Techniques

Bing Liu, University of Illinois at Chicago

Friday, June 17, 1pm

2405 Siebel Center

Abstract:

Opinion mining or sentiment analysis is the computational study of people’s opinions, appraisals, and emotions toward entities, events and their attributes. Opinions are important because they are key influencers of our behaviors. Our beliefs and perceptions of reality, and the choices we make, are to a considerable degree conditioned on how others see and evaluate the world. For this reason, when we need to make a decision we often seek out the opinions of others. This is true not only for individuals but also for organizations. In the past 10 years, it attracted a great deal of attentions from both academia and industry due to many challenging research problems and a wide range of applications. In this talk, I will first present an abstraction of the problem, which provides a structure to the unstructured text and reveals that opinion mining is a multifaceted problem consisting of many highly interrelated sub-problems. These sub-problems present multiple challenges for NLP, text mining, and machine learning. I will then describe several techniques to deal with some of the sub-problems.

http://www.cs.uic.edu/~liub/

If you are interested in an individual meeting with this speaker, please contact Eric Horn (erichorn AT illinois.edu, 333-0871)

Upcoming talks in this series (for abstracts, go to http://mias.illinois.edu/index.php?q=page/DSSI_2011_Expert_Speakers):

Machine Learning Approaches to Query-Document Matching in Search, Hang Li (Microsoft Research); June 24, 1pm, 2405 Siebel Center

Data Sciences Summer Institute (DSSI):

The Data Sciences Summer Institute is a 6-week long program in Data Science areas for graduate and undergraduate students from around the country.  This summer program (May 22 - July 2, 2011) consists of an intensive class in the mathematical foundations of Data Sciences, tutorials on advanced Data Science topics and collaborative research projects.  The DSSI weaves together mathematical foundations, applications, and research.

The mission of the Data Sciences Summer Institute is to develop diverse human resources to enhance the scientific research, education, and government workforce in Data Science disciplines.  This program is funded by the Department of Homeland Security’s Center of Excellence – Command, Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA) at the UIUC’s Multimodal Information Access & Synthesis (MIAS) Center.

For more information about the Data Sciences Summer Institute, please see our website at: http://mias.illinois.edu/DSSI2011 or contact Nancy Komlanc at DSSI-cs AT illinois.edu, 217-244-4675.

  • [nl-uiuc] DSSI Expert Speaker Series: Bing Liu, UI-Chicago, Horn, Eric Bailey, 06/10/2011