nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] AIIS Reminder: Scaling Markov Logic to 500 Million Documents, Today @ 2pm in 3405 SC.

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] AIIS Reminder: Scaling Markov Logic to 500 Million Documents, Today @ 2pm in 3405 SC.

  • From: Yonatan Bisk <bisk1 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] AIIS Reminder: Scaling Markov Logic to 500 Million Documents, Today @ 2pm in 3405 SC.
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:07:47 -0600

Speaker: Chris RĂ© of University of Wisconsin-Madison

When: Today @ 2pm.

Where: 3405 Siebel Center

Talk: Scaling Markov Logic to 500 Million Documents

Abstract:
The main question driving my research is: how does one deploy statistical
data-analysis tools to enhance data-driven systems? Our goal is to find
abstractions that one needs to deploy and maintain such systems. My group is
attacking this question by building a diverse set of statistical data-driven
applications: a Machine Reading system whose goal is to read the Web and
answer complex questions, a muon detector for a neutrino telescope called
IceCube in collaboration with physicists, and querying over rich content (OCR
and speech data) in collaboration with social-scientists. Even in this
diverse set, we have found common abstractions that we are exploiting to
build systems.

In the technical portion of the talk, I will discuss our framework for a
language called Markov Logic (think: logic queries with weights) that we have
been using to build text-processing applications. A key feature of Markov
Logic is that it allows the developer to express rules that are likely, but
not certain, to be correct. This has allowed Markov-Logic-based approaches to
achieve state-of-the-art quality on challenging tasks like Machine Reading. A
key challenge is that previous implementations of Markov Logic have been
confined to hundreds of documents; in contrast, I will describe the
techniques that we use to process over 500 million documents with Markov
Logic.

Video demos, papers, software, virtual machines containing installations of
our software with data, and links to applications that are discussed in this
talk are available fromhttp://www.cs.wisc.edu/hazy.

-- Calendars Reminder --
All AIIS talks are posted to
http://cogcomp.cs.illinois.edu/sites/aiis/index.html and