nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] Reminder: AIIS talk by Prof. Sewoong Oh at 2 pm.

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] Reminder: AIIS talk by Prof. Sewoong Oh at 2 pm.

  • From: "Samdani, Rajhans" <rsamdan2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] Reminder: AIIS talk by Prof. Sewoong Oh at 2 pm.
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:42:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi all,

This is a gentle reminder for today's talk by Prof. Sewoong Oh from the
Industrial Engineering Department. Following are the details:

When: 2 pm, Friday, Feb 22.

Where: Siebel Center 3405.

Title: Designing reliable crowdsourcing systems: efficient algorithms and
fundamental limits

Abstract:
Crowdsourcing systems, like Amazon Mechanical Turk, provide platforms where
large-scale projects are broken into small tasks that are electronically
distributed to numerous on-demand contributors. Because these low-paid
workers can be unreliable, we need to devise schemes to increase confidence
in our answers, typically by assigning each task multiple times and combining
the answers in some way. I will present a rigorous treatment of this problem,
and provide both an optimal task assignment scheme (using a random graph) and
an optimal inference algorithm (based on low-rank matrix approximation and
belief propagation) for that task assignment. This approach significantly
outperforms previous approaches and, in fact, is asymptotically
order-optimal, which is established through comparisons to an oracle
estimator. Therefore, in terms of the budget required to achieve a certain
reliability, our approach is order-optimal. Further, we show that even if we
use adaptive schemes to assign tasks based on all the responses collected
thus far, the necessary budget to achieve a certain target reliability still
scales in the same manner. Hence, perhaps surprisingly, the gain in using
adaptive task allocation schemes is only marginal.

Bio: Sewoong Oh is an Assistant Professor of Industrial and Enterprise
Systems Engineering at UIUC. His research interest is in understanding how to
extract meaningful information from societal data, such as aggregating
opinions on social computation platforms like Mechanical Turk, making
recommendations from rating of individuals, and finding ranking from
comparisons.

Hope to see you all!
Best,
Rajhans

  • [nl-uiuc] Reminder: AIIS talk by Prof. Sewoong Oh at 2 pm., Samdani, Rajhans, 02/22/2013