nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] Fwd: AIIS: Christoph Lampert - Friday May 3, 2013 @ 2pm

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] Fwd: AIIS: Christoph Lampert - Friday May 3, 2013 @ 2pm

  • From: Saurabh Singh <ss1 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] Fwd: AIIS: Christoph Lampert - Friday May 3, 2013 @ 2pm
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:13:46 -0500

– please email (
ss1 AT illinois.edu
or
bisk1 AT illinois.edu
) your
availability if you are interested in a meeting --

When: This Friday @ 2pm - May 3, 2013
Where: 3405 SC
Speaker: Christoph Lampert (http://pub.ist.ac.at/~chl/ )

Title: Attribute-based classification and the dream of life-long
learning for scene understanding

Abstract:

The goal of life-long visual learning is to developing techniques that
can continuously and autonomously learn from visual data, potentially
for years or decades. During this time the system should build an
ever-improving base of generic visual information, and use it as
background knowledge and context for solving specific computer vision
tasks.

In my talk, I will introduce some challenges that one faces when
trying to develop life-long learning computer vision systems and I
will discuss some of our recent work on attribute-based and other
representations that aim at addressing these challenges.

Bio:

Christoph Lampert is an assistant professor at IST, Austria. He is
very well known for prize winning work on using structured output
methods to improve the training and performance of sliding
windowmethods. He is co-author of one of the ground-breaking papers
on using visual attributes to describe and recognize objects. His
current interests involve structured learning methods, object
detection and recognition, and lifelong visual learning.

  • [nl-uiuc] Fwd: AIIS: Christoph Lampert - Friday May 3, 2013 @ 2pm, Saurabh Singh, 04/29/2013