nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Prof. Joyce Chai (MSU), Thursday, August 1, 10am SC3405

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Prof. Joyce Chai (MSU), Thursday, August 1, 10am SC3405

  • From: "Hockenmaier, Julia" <juliahmr AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Prof. Joyce Chai (MSU), Thursday, August 1, 10am SC3405
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 03:31:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Apologies for the short notice -- we have Joyce Chai from MSU visiting us this week.
This talk should be of interest to both language and vision folks.

Note the unusual time (10am!) and day of the week (Thursday!).

AIIS talk: Situated Language Processing: from Virtual World to Physical World
Prof. Joyce Chai, Michigan State University
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~jchai/

Thursday, August 1 2013, 10am
Siebel Center 3405

In situated interaction, human partners and artificial agents are co-present in a shared environment. The highly dynamic and uncertain surroundings strongly influence how they make reference to the environment, engage in conversation, and accomplish their goals. To enable situated dialogue, we have studied several problems related to situated language processing. In this talk, I will start with our investigations in virtual world interaction focusing on incorporating visual context for word acquisition. I will then describe our recent effort on situated human robot dialogue in a physical world. Due to mismatched visual perceptual capabilities between humans and robots, their representations of the shared environment are significantly misaligned. To alleviate this problem and facilitate common ground, we have examined collaborative discourse and developed approaches to mediate shared perceptual basis through graph-based referential grounding. In this talk, I will discuss our empirical findings and results.

  • [nl-uiuc] AIIS talk by Prof. Joyce Chai (MSU), Thursday, August 1, 10am SC3405, Hockenmaier, Julia, 07/30/2013