nl-uiuc - [[nl-uiuc] ] CSLSC 2018: Registration and Information

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[[nl-uiuc] ] CSLSC 2018: Registration and Information

  • From: "Sakakini, Tarek J" <sakakini AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu" <nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [[nl-uiuc] ] CSLSC 2018: Registration and Information
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:27:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hello fellow NLP researchers,

The email below could be of interest to the members of this mailing list. The conference starts tomorrow.

Dear CSL Community,

The 13th CSL Student Conference is right around the corner, and we are excited to see all of you attending the different events of the conference. Kindly register for free at this link to ensure your spot in all our events. We have a diverse set of events that caters to the CSL community.

If you are looking to be inspired by a leader at the heart of technology research fronts …

We got you covered. This year, Eric Horvitz, Director of Microsoft Research, will be delivering the plenary talk on “AI Advances and Aspirations”.

If you are looking for a deep dive into the various CSL research fields …

This is what we’re all about. Our four technical sessions will have an inspiring keynote talk by an established researcher in the field, followed by an invited external speaker, followed by talks by CSL’s amazing students. Our poster session and robotics demonstrations will give you an interactive look into CSL’s research. This year’s keynote speakers are:

Prof. Vivienne Sze (MIT):                  Energy-Efficient Edge Computing for AI-driven Applications

Dr. Esteban Real (Google Brain):   Learning and Learning-to-learn Research by the Google Brain Team

Prof. Allen Tannenbaum (SUNY):    Optimal Mass Transport and the Robustness of Complex Networks

Prof. Avrim Blum (TTIC):                   Learning about Agents and Mechanisms from Opaque Transactions

If you are looking for an internship/full-time position in industry …

Companies are coming just for CSL graduate students.  With 19 companies including names such as Microsoft, NVIDIA, and Intel, many hiring opportunities will be present at our Graduate Student Job Fair. You’ll also get to casually network during After Hours over hors d’oeuvres and drinks.

If you are looking for a deeper insight into the industry side of research …

Microsoft, NVIDIA, and Honeywell will be giving workshops related to their companies and products.

If you are looking for a more global view on our research and its effect on our community …

We are tackling a controversial topic in this year’s panel. So controversial, a company preferred to not be involved in the discussion. This year’s panel will be on: “How will Technology Redefine our Democracy?” touching on topics such as spread of fake news, gerrymandering, and online voting.

If you are looking for delicious free food …

You know how we roll, but let the energy from the food make you a proactive participant in our conference.

All details, including schedule, are here.

We are excited to see you all there!

James Schmidt and Tarek Sakakini,

CSLSC General Co-Chairs

  • [[nl-uiuc] ] CSLSC 2018: Registration and Information, Sakakini, Tarek J, 02/20/2018