patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Music and/or Midi Software Patterns

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Music and/or Midi Software Patterns

  • From: Peter Sommerlad <peter.sommerlad AT synlogic.ch>
  • To: <steve AT bstage.com>, <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Music and/or Midi Software Patterns
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:38:55 +0200

Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2003 10:02 schrieb Steve Schow:
> Do any of you know if there has been any work documenting design
> patterns related to either A) Music composition or B) Midi Software
> behaviors (or both)??
>
> I wish to set out to document some design patterns that deal with issues
> about handling midi data/events in real time in a typical midi software
> program. Just wondering if anyone else has approached this domain
> yet...

Take a look at Jan Borchers, "A Pattern Approach to Interaction Design",
Wiley
& Sons 2001.
It has a "Musical Pattern Language". Since I have no idea about music, except
turning on the radio or playing a CD, I cannot judge what's in there. At
least it has some drawings of chords...

Yours
Peter.

Peter Sommerlad