patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander makes the NY Times

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander makes the NY Times

  • From: Linda Rising <risingl AT acm.org>
  • To: "Richard P. Gabriel" <rpg AT dreamsongs.com>
  • Cc: Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander makes the NY Times
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:34:49 -0700

It makes you wonder about *all* articles :-)!

Richard P. Gabriel wrote:

At 11:40 -0700 7/14/03, Linda Rising wrote:

Architecture's Irascible Reformer

July 12, 2003 By EMILY EAKIN

You folks might also note that I'm quoted in this article. I interviewed with Emily for several hours. I just barely got her away from what she wanted to write, which was that Alexander inspired OO's creation. She wanted to say that before Alexander we wrote monolithic code and his pattern-language idea made us think that software could be broken into components that would be hooked together more loosely. She equated the terms "object" and "pattern."

It makes you wonder about the rest of the article, but I think that part is ok.

-rpg-