patterns-discussion - RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns for architecture-centric software development

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns for architecture-centric software development

  • From: "Chris Finlayson" <cfinlayson AT vls-inc.com>
  • To: <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns for architecture-centric software development
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:25:33 -0700

Paris,

There are of course many software engineering texts that deal with the
general gist of the topics below, describing many philosophies on how to
organize a software project end-to-end. This includes product design all
the way through to release and how all key teams (often product management,
engineering, QA, build/release) interact to develop the product.

That said, the interesting point you bring up is the issue of "how to
organize a team based on the architecture". I have not seen this
specifically addressed, and it certainly is relevant. Having worked on
engineering teams for web-based and non-web-based applications, different
roles were necessary to fit the different technical requirements. A simple
example is a Network Operations Center whose duty is to make sure the web
servers hosting web-based-app's is up 24/7. A non-web-based-application
obviously need not require such a department.

The other key point is the documentation based on "design patterns". While
the "general gist" of the topics is addressed in standard texts, with
potentially the exception of "how to organize a team", they do lack the
benefits of writing them in the style of design patterns. They are worthy
of design patterns as they are solutions that have evolved over time and to
a large extent tried-and-true with plenty of organizations following them to
a tee. However, they aren't written in a design pattern style; e.g. they
lack a) the specific types of problems the solutions address (i.e. what
architecture/software type is this software engineering lifecycle paradigm
good for?), b) often lack instances of use, c) lack the explicit
relationship to other lifecycle variants, etc. etc.

--Chris.