patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] VikingPLoP Submission Date Extended

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] VikingPLoP Submission Date Extended

  • From: Linda Rising <risingl AT acm.org>
  • To: Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] VikingPLoP Submission Date Extended
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:20:38 -0700

(Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this Call for Papers)

VikingPLoP 2004
The Third Nordic Conference
on Pattern Languages of Programs
September 16-19, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

******** Submission deadline extended to: June 25 ********

We reiterate that submissions to patterns conferences are further
refined in a shepherding process, where a more experienced member
of the patterns community will help you improve your paper for
final acceptance.  We encourage you to take advantage of this process.

IMPORTANT DATES
Papers due                      May 31
Shepherding starts              Jun 14
Conference registration starts  Jul  1
Shepherding ends                Jul 30
Notification of acceptance      Aug  6
Conference drafts due           Aug 20
Conference                      Sep 16-19

Organizers: Rebecca Rikner (rebecca.rikner AT telia.com
Daniel May (daniel AT thedanielmay.com

VikingPLoP 2004 - Call for Contributions
VikingPLoP is a conference in the tradition of the PLoP conferences
(http://www.hillside.net/conferences/), which invite you
to add your expertise to the growing body of patterns literature.

These conferences follow a different format from conferences such as
OOPSLA. The focus here is on learning, discussion and reflection, not on
the presentation of finished or traditionally academic work. At a
PLoP(tm) series conference, attendees review each other's material and
help each other to refine their work, run workshops and engage in
fruitful discussions.

Against the scenic backdrop of the Nordic countries, VikingPLoP offers a
variety of writers workshops for submitted pattern papers, focus groups and
other activities. The conference provides participants with the
opportunity to share their experience with patterns and software. As with
the PLoP series of conferences, our overall goal is to build a community
of people who want a better way to work.

Writers' Workshops
------------------
Writers' workshops are at the heart of the VikingPLoP programme. In these
workshops we discuss pattern papers accepted for the conference. Pattern
papers may consist of an individual pattern, a collection of related
patterns or a whole pattern language. For more about writers' workshops:
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/writersworkshop.html <http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/writersworkshop.html>

Topics of Interest
------------------
Historically, the patterns papers at PLoP conferences have focused
on aspects of programs and their production. This includes aspects of
software systems, such as programming, software architecture, analysis
and data modeling, project management and education.

Patterns might be so specific as to name particular objects,
interface elements or implementation structures in a solution; or so
general as to describe high-level architectures. They could describe
configurations of hardware, software or even people. More recently,
PLoP conferences have included papers on topics not related to
programs. These papers are also also welcome.

Your patterns need not cover original subject matter, but it is
important that they describe mature knowledge based on experience.
Patterns also work together with other patterns. We encourage the
submission of small collections of patterns that build on each other
and above all, we encourage the submission of patterns that tie into
the existing body of published pattern literature.

We especially welcome submissions from first-time authors. For
examples of patterns from past years, browse the material at the
Patterns Home Page (http://www.hillside.net/patterns/).

Encourage your colleagues with useful ideas to submit drafts too,
even if they have never written a pattern before. If they have the
ideas, we can help them turn their knowledge into patterns.

Submissions
-----------
Send submissions to the organizers:

Rebecca Rikner (rebecca.rikner AT telia.com
Daniel May (daniel AT thedanielmay.com

After submission, the paper will be selected for shepherding, a
process of refining the work before the conference. Final acceptance
depends on the results of shepherding. Authors with papers that are
accepted to the conference will be able to revise their patterns based
on insights obtained during the conference's writers' workshops.

We encourage you to join our mailing list for updates of what's
happening in and around VikingPLoP 2004 Vi ses i Uppsala!

GIF image

  • [patterns-discussion] VikingPLoP Submission Date Extended, Linda Rising, 06/12/2004