patterns-discussion - RE: [patterns-discussion] Any Data access pattern for accessing data across subsystems ?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: [patterns-discussion] Any Data access pattern for accessing data across subsystems ?

  • From: "Prabodh Saha" <prabodhs AT ivycomptech.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: RE: [patterns-discussion] Any Data access pattern for accessing data across subsystems ?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:10:06 +0530

Hi Sourav,
Let me first state what I did understand from your mail.

a) U want to access data from your backend database.

b) There are (say) three different backend DB's

c) There are (say) three different applications one for each DB

d) These three appications (lets call A,B,C) talk to each other (via
msgs),
when need others' data or for some other business reasons.

e) Now if Application A wants to access the data from DB of
Application C,
in normal case it will request application C by sending msg
but
in some specific situations, it may directly talk the DB of C and
pick
data

If that is the case, I think the "Policy" pattern will help you.

Each of your application should have a policy object (singleton for
each
appln),
which will support the direct connectivity to the "OTHER" DB's.
If you want, you can have the flexibility of loading this policy in
run
time.

On the specific optimizing occassions (which you may detect during run
time)
your application will call concerned methods on its "policy object"
to gather a specific data from a specific DB. The policy
implementation can
be
done in number of ways like:

a) Have different methods for each kind of data for each kind
of DB

b) Have generic methods in the Policy object, which will take
your
desired data and conatiner DB's name / url as argument

c) For both of the above cases, the Policy can take config
params
from a flat file - optionally read periodically

If you need any kind of elaboration, please revert

Regards,
Prabodh