patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] synchronous and asynchrounous message handling

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] synchronous and asynchrounous message handling

  • From: "Reza Razavipour" <rrazavipour AT stbernard.com>
  • To: <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] synchronous and asynchrounous message handling
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:54:45 -0700

To all,

I am wondering if there is a pattern or a set of them that can help with my problem. We have a 2 tier application and the UI "queries" the server and the results come back asynchronously. This messaging is in need of a good overhaul/refactoring.

Are any patterns or any standard approaches that can help in this area. My thoughts so far are:

Queries or request are generated, the results of queries "trickle in" not atomic, I need a middle layer to handle this query submition along with putting the returned packages together and when finalized notify the UI, that hey we got results for a query.

Does this sound reasonable? If so, any patterns to implement this idea.

Regards,

Reza

  • [patterns-discussion] synchronous and asynchrounous message handling, Reza Razavipour, 09/23/2004