patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas

  • From: Jacek Sokulski <jaceks AT software.com.pl>
  • To: "Michael J. Pont" <Michael.Pont AT tesco.net>, Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:03:21 +0100

Michael,
Thank you for your reply. I have not read the papers on the website you
have sent link to but IMHO it seems that this the same case as in most
of the publications on patterns: it is mostly the technical staff form
Alexandr's works, notion of patterns, pattern languages, forces etc.
That is of course fine and very useful, but I am interested more in the
ides that are at the heart of Alexander's writings: the quality without
a name, differentiating the whole, the process of design and
construction, the ides form The Nature of Order etc.
Some kind of this one can find in Richard Gabriel's Patterns of Software
or in some articles by J. Coplien.

All the best
Jacek